by Dr. Emil Tompkins: A Chiropractor in Marana, AZ with a passion for family health and wellness.
I attended a great workshop this past week. Once a month I attend a class that teaches about functional nutrition. So I’m regularly learning how to use nutritional supplements to help our patients achieve their health goals. The major focus of Tompkins Family Chiropractic when it comes to nutritional supplements is in Inflammation relief, healthy weight management, immune function, and cognitive/behavioral performance.
Yesterday we began discussing Vitamin D, which is not a vitamin at all, it’s a hormone. You can think of this hormone as a “train track” for your minerals. Vitamin D drives the minerals found in what we eat to the proper areas of the body that need it. Whether it’s calcium to the bones, magnesium to the muscles. Vitamin D has also been researched to influence gene expression. One of the single best things you can do for your health is to make sure you have enough vitamin D.
But there is a problem.
Most American’s don’t come close to having enough vitamin D. This happens for a number of reasons.
1. You don’t consume the recommended levels of vitamin D over time.
2. Your exposure to sunlight is limited. (even here in the desert) sunblock prevents all vitamin D from being absorbed.
3. You have dark skin (well, if you have dark skin, you’ll have a problem absorbing vitamin D)
4. Your kidneys can’t concert vitamin D into it’s active form. It happens to almost all of us.
5. Your digestive tract cannot adequately absorb vitamin D.
6. You’re overweight: Most of us these days are overweight and it prevents vitamin D absorption.
There is a simple solution. Standard process offers high quality vitamin D supplements with omega 3 fatty acids to help your body absorb the vitamin D. When you put both pieces together, you’ll see your vitamin D levels increase.
Imagine, noticing your mood improve, your energy increase, preventing inflammation and the risk of cancer and other disorders. Something as simple as vitamin D will give you that result. Talk to us about supplementing with vitamin D today.
Your body will thank you for it.
Dr. Emil Tompkins